At Church & Dwight, we continue to accelerate new product development to meet the ever-changing needs of our consumers.
In 2006, we created a discreet marketing team focused solely on new product development. This team leads our company’s cross-functional effort and, in partnership with our R&D colleagues, uses both internal and external resources to identify, design and market new products. New products launched by this team accounted for about $400 million, or over 15% of our total sales, in 2009.
Research & Development
We conduct research and development activities primarily at our Princeton and Cranbury facilities in New Jersey. We devote significant resources and attention to product development, process technology and basic research. The overriding goals: develop differentiated products with new and distinctive features, and provide increased convenience and value to our customers.
To increase our innovative capabilities, we also engage outside contractors for general R&D in activities beyond our core areas of expertise. Over the last three years (ending 2009), we have invested more than $155 million on R&D activities.
Some of our recent innovations in Household products include:
- ARM & HAMMER™ Plus OxiClean™ Power Gels laundry detergent is a revolutionary new gel formula with more cleaning power. It grabs and powers out stains better than ordinary value liquid detergents.
- OxiClean™ has a new MaxForce line of products that combines four types of stain fighters to get more tough stains out the first time.
- Kaboom™ FOAM-TASTIC™ is a revolutionary new household cleaning product that sprays on blue and turns white when the surface is ready to wipe clean. No other foaming cleaner does this.
Personal Care Innovations
Some of our recent innovations in Personal Care products include:
- Trojan™ Fire & Ice™ is a unique latex condom with dual action lubricant providing warming and tingling sensations for both partners.
- FIRST RESPONSE™ launched the first pregnancy test that tells a woman if she is pregnant 6 days before a missed period.
- Nair™ extended its successful Shower Power™ platform, which enables women to utilize a depilatory product while showering, by launching a convenient pump form.